Thursday, March 26, 2009

Day 139 - Melbourne Zoo

I awoke at my friend's place and picked nectarines off the tree in her backyard for breakfast. It's brilliant! The freshness and flavour of nectarines off the tree cannot be described when you haven't eaten one in months because they are not available in Asia for less than $15/lb. At least now I can say I was fruit picking in Australia!

The Melbourne Zoo was my activity for the day. The first place I hit was the platypus den where I finally saw a platypus in my last days in Australia. They're actually quite a bit smaller than I envisioned at only about 1 1/2 ft long. I thought they would be twice that size at least.

This zoo was one of the first to impress me in a while. Especially the butterfly exhibit. It was absolutely incredible. There were hundreds of butterflies flying around everywhere. The only one that was missing was the gigantic bright blue Ulysses.

In the afternoon I checked into the Greenhouse Hostel in downtown Melbourne in the heart of the city and walked wandered around for a while. I like this place. :)

No comments: