Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Day 143 - Bungy Jump and trip up to Dargaville


I woke up and checked out of the hostel this morning and headed straight to the internet cafe to try and decide between doing a base jump off the Skytower or a bungy jump off the Auckland Harbour Bridge. I walked over to the Skytower to see about a base jump but really didn't think it would be very good because when you jump you're attached to a cable and it looked like a really expensive carnival ride. Bungy jump off the Auckland Harbour Bridge it is!

AJ Hackett Bungy picked me up at the Maritime Museum and took me over to the Harbour Bridge. The weather was beautiful. I was about 30C at the height of the day. It took about 10 minutes to get to the jump site and I was freaking out. I was suited up and hooked to the harbour bridge and had to walk out to the jump pod. It felt like it took forever to walk out to it as I kept questioning my decision to jump off a 40m bridge into the Auckland Harbour with an elastic attached to my ankles. I got up into the pod and was the last to jump. I was the lightest so I needed to go last. As I waited for everyone to go I actually started to get excited and the adrenaline was racing through my veins.

As I jumped, I closed my eyes and screamed on the way down. It was nuts because it honestly felt like I was jumping to my death until I hit the water and sprung back up. I only wanted to touch the water but I totally got dunked up to my ankles! The bridge was only 40m high and it passed so fast for a decent rush of 10 seconds max. The 192m bungy in Queenstown will be sweet! Totally looking forward to it!

After the jump I met up with one of my friends that I had met in and travelled with through Vietnam and Cambodia. She lives up in Northland just outside of Dargaville. We went to go pick up a boat that she and her brother had purchased and then back up to Dargaville. It was brilliant because we sat around drinking beer and all we talked about were our experiences together in Vietnam and Cambodia. Wow, I already miss Asia.

No comments: