Monday, April 6, 2009

Day 144 - Diving for Lobster Dinner


We woke up and got all our stuff together go to the beach and dive. We got to a beach through a pretty much unused piece of property. I was told that this land had been bought by the government from the farmer to be given back to the Maoris. When we got to the beach we were the only ones on it which was brilliant.

It took a while to get the newly purchased boat together. But once it was up and running it was amazing. We ended up taking the boat out to meet my friend's father who was already out on a boat fishing. When we arrived at the boat we got geared up and I was handed a strange looking bag. I thought we were just going for a fun dive but we were actually going to dive for lobsters for dinner!

When we went down, the water was actually pretty cold about 18-20C and we were wearing 6 mil suits with hoods. The visibility was about 10m with lots of particulate. This place had a very rocky topography and all the nooks and crannys were full of huge lobsters. I was the designated bag holder while my friends caught them. At the end of the day with 6 divers on the boat, we surfaced with 30 lobsters and lots of snapper. Mmm.... Dinner!

No comments: