Friday, April 10, 2009

Day 179-181 - Bali to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Vancouver, Vancouver to Toronto

I woke up in the guesthouse in Bali and ended up going out and buying last minute souvenirs and walking around the city. It is beautiful here. I really wish I had more time. You never realize how fast time passes when you're busy doing things. It only drags when there is nothing to do. I left for the airport around 4 pm for the flight to Hong Kong.

It took less time than I had expected to get to Hong Kong. Upon arrival I had a lot of time before my flight left for Vancouver. I spent my time in the waiting area filling out Sudoku puzzles.
The flight was full and I was upgraded to business class on the leg from Hong Kong to Vancouver. Thank God! It's a 11 hour flight and I'll have a chair that reclines into a bed and all the food and booze I can consume.

It was a fantastic journey to Vancouver. Upon arrival in Vancouver, I stayed at my friend's house and was greeted with a bag of Dill Pickle chips. Quite a change from all the ones flavoured like meat in Asia. I ended staying over at her place for the night and flying out the next morning bound for Toronto.

The flight from Vancouver to Toronto was bittersweet. I knew I was going to be home soon to see all my family and friends but my adventures through the Asia were over. The experiences that I had for the last 6 months of my life will always be with me. There were things that I witnessed that will affect the way I live my life for forever. I would not trade this for anything in the world. It's through experiences which make people who they are and because of the sights, sounds and interactions I've had, I've somehow changed as a person with a better understanding of life. When I arrived back in Toronto at 7:19 pm on March 17th, 2009, for the first time in a long time, I actually felt like I was home.

No comments: