Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Day 162 - Kayaking in Milford Sound


I woke up and realized I had been eaten in my sleep. I've never had so many sand fly bites in my life. They were everywhere! Unfortunately I was unable to go diving in Milford Sound because it was cancelled. I ended up going Kayaking instead and what a beautiful day to do it. The skies were clear and it was sunny!

We were driven about 15-20min down the road to the departure point. These kayaks were way sweeter than the ones I had paddled in Asia. They actually kept you in, were aerodynamic and we got suited up in polypropylene. What a concept!

This place was full of sand flies. They were swarming me as I was getting changed. I got bitten on the face and they ended up in everything.

The day was looking good. As we set off I was able to see what I had missed out on yesterday. The people who were kayaking with us had never kayaked before so they kept going in circles and bumping into us. The best thing about the day was kayaking up to some wild seals that were playing around in the water by the shore. They are extremely curious creatures and liked to swim around the kayaks. The trip lasted for about 6 hours out on the water and it was absolutely brilliant!

No comments: