Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Day 159 - Skydiving over the Fox Glacier and Lake Matheson

I woke up at 5:30am to do a skydive at 6am. I was really hoping that it was going to be a clear day as it kept raining and raining. I looked outside and could see stars. That's a good sign. I can't believe I'll be doing my 3rd skydive.

It took about 1/2 hour to get to the jump site. I boarded the smallest plane I've ever been on in my entire life. They squished 4 people into it,not including the pilot. I have never been so uncomfortable, ever! I was strapped to my tandem and crushed between his legs in this tiny-ass plane squished up against the doors like a sardine.

The cool thing about jumping here was that I was allowed to take my camera with me and take photos. We flew over Mount Cook and the Fox Glacier. It was beautiful. I was even able to get a photo at sunrise. Best way to start you day, with a skydive at sunrise! I was jumping from 12000ft and the first one to jump. I started to realize that every jump is different but it starts to get less and less intense the more times you do it. Hmm... I think I'm becoming a true adrenaline junkie...

When I landed in a field of sheep, I was driven to Lake Matheson for breakfast. I was absolutely starved. The weather remained extremely clear and the view was stunning from here. I walked over to the mirror lakes where you could see the reflection of Mount Cook on the lake. It was incredible.

On the way to Wanaka, we encountered a whole herd of cattle in the middle of the road. It was hilarious. They were everywhere and stopped traffic for quite some time. Cows were everywhere!

Our last stop was at Thundercreek Falls for 15min. It turned out to be for about an hour because some hotshot 18year old kid decided it would be cool to swim across the river and he couldn't get back over. The idiot walked upstream where the current was stronger and instead of crossing down stream where it was shallow. It was ridiculous. We ended up getting into Wanaka late because of this and was seriously contemplating doing a second skydive here.

No comments: