Thursday, April 9, 2009

Day 174 to 176 - Diving in Sabah

My first day of diving was at Kapalai and Mabul. Both were very cool and different dive spots. The one at Kapalai was an artificial reef composed of lumber in the shape of houses, old tires, and small boatwrecks. Mabul was a real reef where I did a lot of drift diving which is pretty much exactly what it sounds like. You get pushed along by the current. It was very different than what I was used to but really amazing. The current pushed me along the wall of coral, at one point the current was so strong and I was drifting so fast, I needed to hold onto some dead coral and swim up to get out of the current for a little while. Crazy!

The next day I went ot Sipadan as Yang Lu, a female from China. Let me explain. Sipadan is a marine reserve and only 120 people are allowed on the island by permit everyday. Since this girl didn't show up, I took her place. This was fantastically lucky as I wouldn't be able to dive here as it was booked up for days. This island looked like it was out of a movie. Absolutely perfect sand, blue water and top class diving. I couldn't ask for anything more.

The 600m deep wall of coral was stunning. It's a prime spot for white tipped reef sharks, barracudas and turtles. It was amazing. A must for any diver for sure!

The last day here I went diving at Mantabuan. It's a prime spot for table coral and smaller creatures like nudibranchs. Didn't see any sharks today but lots of nudibranchs and flatworms. I really like this place. If I could dive forever I would. The staff here think I'll be back in a couple of months to do my divemaster. Wouldn't be a bad idea...

No comments: