Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Day 5 - Imperial Palace and Harajuku

The plan for the day was to go and take a look at the Imperial Palace before it started to rain again. I left around 8 am and took the JR over to the palace. Outside Tokyo station were a bunch of cows from the Cows on Parade exhibit that is being displayed in Tokyo until mid October, I think they were the same ones that were displayed in the other exhibits.

I was told the Imperial Palace was going to be disappointing but I decided that since I'm here I might as well go and see it. Wow were they ever right. Such a disappointment. The only bit you get to see is the front gate. There is NO point in spending the time to trek over to see it unless its a clear day to see the surrounding gardens, which it was not. So I decided to go to Harajuku and find some harujuku girls.

Right when I got out of Harajuku station it began to pour. But it didn't seem to phase anyone. They were all going about their business as usual. Until a whole load of chanting men with a shrine decided to cruise through the streets at a snails pace. I realized that I had just run into a ceremony where they carried the portable shrine through the streets of Harajuku. To ensure i got good photos of this I climbed the stairs to get a better view and ended up in a store that sold Harajuku type outfits. It was packed with people and Harujuku girls! Fantastic! What an amazing thing to witness, girls dressed as such things as little bow peep going about their day. I didn`t get any photos BUT I did even better. I got my Halloween costume for next year!

1 comment:

From Toronto said...

Most of the people who dress up are at the entrance to the Meiji Jingu Shrine's park. Hope I have the name right. I think weekends are the busiest.