So here I am sitting at a quaint internet cafe in Kanagawa just outside of Tokyo. I think I`ve had the longest day of my life. In transit for 26 hours and not feeling any jet lag whatsoever is a good sign I think. I got plenty of sleep on the flights and ate like a horse. The flights took forever! I flew from Toronto to Anchorage for refueling and then onto Hong Kong where I transfered to get to Tokyo.
The trains here are unbelievable, everything seems to move so fast including all the people. They seem to be on the go at all times (seems like my kinda city!). Getting from the Airport to Motosumiyoshi station seemed like a feat in itself with the transferring of 3 trains and 3 different tickets. Thankfully a nice older Japanese man helped me find my way as I was unknowingly occupying his seat on the reserved section of the train, Oops! He was very helpful and practiced his english and got me on my way to where I was going and even made sure I boarded the correct trainline.
A few random observations so far:
1. No one talks on their cell phones, everyone just text messages and if they do talk I`ve noticed people covering their mouths.
2. Outside cell phones do not work here and Japanese cell phones apparently don`t work outside of Japan because of the kind of network they use. So for now, My handy cell phone has turned into an expensive portable clock.
3. Everything here is cute. I don`t have anything against things being cute but EVERYTHING is cute and/or has a mascott of some sort complete with a smiling cartoonlike face.
4. 7 eleven has a theme song. This is just something I cannot describe, it`s all part of the experience!
After I got off the train, I met a friend and we went back to her apartment to drop off my backpack. I was expecting a place the size of a shoebox and well, it is quite small. I don`t think I`ve ever seen a smaller apartment in my life, yet strangely confortable. However, this is the way they mostly are over here especially because of the large population and lack of land.
Plans for tomorrow are to go into Tokyo and take in a Kabuki and Bunraku show and do a bit of exploring. I don`t think that its hit me yet that I`m here. Maybe it`ll happen tomorrow!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
started to read your experience in japan.
I believe that the 7-11 theme song goes like "Seven-Eleven, ii-kibun!" = 7-11, good feeling. notice the rhyme.
yeah, when you are in the midst of it all, you don't think twice about the oddities like "everything cute" and 7-11 theme. it's just part of your life. it's interesting to hear from a foreigner (never been there) about the first time experience, though.
Post a Comment