Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Day 75 - Temples of Angkor (Day 2)

We left a little later this morning around 10 am to see more temples. The tuk tuk was quite cramped squishing 5 people into it but we saw a lot. The first 2 temples we went to see were the Pre Rup and East Mebon. The only real differences between the 2 was that the latter had large elephant statues on all 4 corners of the platform.

Next stop was Ta Som. Many of the carvings were in good condition. There was a huge tree growing into the gateway of the building.

My favourite place of the day was Neak Pean which is a small island temple located in a pond and the first place where I wasn't harassed by anyone to buy stuff. It was so peaceful here, I could have spent hours relaxing by the pond in the sun.

The last place was called Preah Khon which used to be a university. You could see where the library used to be. This place was quite large and beautiful but totally destroyed. A lot of the walls and roof have caved into the buildings. There were collapsed stone blocks everywhere.

For dinner back in the city I had Cambodian BBQ which is very similar to Korean BBQ except that the grill plate had a soup reservoir for vegetables and noodles. I had what they called the "Degustation Menu" which consisted of chicken, beef, crocodile (ridiculously chewy), snake (tastes like chicken) and squid. It was all $8.75 and amazing.

No comments: