Today was the last day of using the 3 day pass. We headed for the Rolous group of temples in the southeast. They are the smallest and oldest group of temples. It can be said that they were kind of like the practice temples before the big hitters were built. The first temple was Lolei built of sandstone in 893AD.
We then went to visit Preah Ko. At this temple there were a bunch of boys that were trying to sell us books. Instead of buying a book I gave them some bread I had in my day pack. That actually made them really happy but its funny because they at the crust last. I guess kids universally don't like the crust of bread!
The last and largest temple we saw was Bakong. This temple had a Buddist monastery behind it. The one thing I noticed in Cambodia that I found quite strange is that the monks here ask for money. I've never seen that before. Plus, there are a lot of people posing as monks collecting money from tourists and then pocketing it. It's really screwed up.
In the afternoon we went to Kompong Phuluk, the flooded forest, located 14 km outside Siem Reap. We boarded a boat and went down the village. All the house in here are on stilts about 6-7m out of the water. Some had pens for pigs and chickens and others were growing vegetables, all of which were floating on the water as well. We were harassed by row boats trying to "sell books and pencils for the school children". It didn't make any sense. When we got off the boat we were surrounded by children selling exactly the same thing.
We went back to the city for dinner and walking home afterwards I was expecting to mobbed by children for money or a handout of some sort. Instead this one little girl who was about 7 years old, runs up to me and hugs me. She looks up at me and wants me to swing her around. She just wanted to play and be a kid. That totally made my night. Swinging around a 7 year old as she's giggling like mad. That's what childhood should be about, having fun and not worrying where your next meal is coming from.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You know she was just trying to find an excuse to go through your pockets, right? :)
Post a Comment