Friday, October 10, 2008

Day 20 - Muslim Mosque, Big Goose Pagoda and the Huiling School for Persons with Mental Disabilities


I was awakened today around 7 am by children singing from the private school next door. We walked the city and saw the bell tower, drum tower and mosque. The mosque was interesting as I have never seen a mosque inside a temple before. It seemed like a very confusing concept.




I ended up at the Big Goose Pagoda to see the sites and was able to catch the last 10 minutes of the fountain show. The pagoda is 7 storeys with lookout points on all floors. You can get a great view of the city from here.


Lunch proved to be quite interesting. I ended up in a shop that sold mutton soup. Figured it would be good to try. They delivered a bowl with two large bread like disks and was told to shred them until they were really small. 45 minutes later, the bread was shredded and they took the bowl and filled it with noodles and mutton soup. It was totally worth it. It was so good but not recommended if you want a quick meal.

Later that day we went to visit a school that is supported by Intrepid for Mentally disabled adults. It was good to see that the agency supported something that was needed in the community.

Tonight is another sleeper train for 15 hours bound for Suzhou.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Sounds like you are having a whirlwind trip through China. I'm glad to hear you are finding plenty of good food ;)