Saturday, October 18, 2008

Day 27 - Hangzhou


I arrived in Hangzhou last night at around 10 pm. It took 2 hours from Shanghai. I ended up checking into the Mingtown Hangzhou hostel thats located at West lake for 45 Y and night. I had a horrible nights rest as I felt like I was was sleeping on rocks and the fact that I carried my 35lb pack for an hour to the hostel didn't help either. I slept in and woke up around 10 am. I'm still exhausted.

I picked up a MORE magazine which is the only English magazine about tourism in Hangzhou and went to discover the city. It appears that the hostel is situated at the southeast end of the lake. The lake is so serene. It's wonderful to get away from the big city and chillout for a few days. I can understand how this is a top tourist spot for the Chinese.

I ended up at the Temple of King Qian. I wasn't too exciting to be quite honest. Temples are all starting to look the same. I've been to so many in such a short period of time, I think I need a break.

I then walked to the Baochu Pagoda in Geling Hill. It was almost dark by the time I got there and wished I had arrived while it was still light out. It took about 30 minutes to walk over from the hostel and the walk was very peaceful. Just what I needed.

On the way back, I felt that I should probably eat something so I stopped into a Muslim Chinese restaurant and had a huge bowl of noodles for 10Y. They were fantastic. I'll definitely be back here to eat again.

No comments: