Across the street was the North temple pagoda and figured why not go and see that too as it was so close. The pagoda was originally 11 storeys and only 9 storeys remain. The steps up the pagoda became steeper and narrower as I climbed to the top. I was beginning to feel dizzy because I had not eaten and was walking around in circles and increasing in altitude. The view of the city from the top was beautiful despite the constant smog. There was a foreign guy at the top of the pagoda writing in what appeared to be his travel journal. Great idea!
Lunch was long awaited and it could not have been better. Went to a place that was recommended by Lonely Planet so I was skeptical because some of their recommendations have been quite crap to be honest. This place was amazing. A place called Yang Yang that sold mainly steamed dumplings. I had 10 crab dumplings for 12 yuan and was in heaven. I totally recommend this place.
After this I ended up at the Humble Administrator's Garden. It was absolutely enormous as well as beautiful. It was about 20 times the size of the Chinese garden in Portland. There was a separate section for bonsai trees. This place was full of American tourists. And I mean hundreds of them on a tour. I'm very glad that I was in a group of 7. Sometimes travelling alone gets lonely but its nice to have a few days as being in a group of people that all speak english. And still have loads of free time to spend as you wish with or without the group.
Tonights dinner was on the whole, interesting. I just kind of pointed to a dish on someone else's table and decided that will be what I will have. As it turns out, I had just ordered what appeared to be fish and beans sprouts in soup. I was wrong it wasn't soup it was fish and bean sprouts in boiling oil. It tasted good but really not what I had expected.
The last activity of the evening was going to the Master of Nets performance in the garden. It was basically a showcase of different Chinese art forms from singing to playing instruments. It was interesting but super touristy. I think every tour group in the area was there. Not to mention the 30 odd American 12 year olds that decided it was ok to not listen to anything or anyone and run around screaming waving fans. I really would like to see some proper Chinese opera while I am here. Hopefully in Shanghai.
1 comment:
Yea for American 12 year olds. Way to hold up the loud American stereotype!
Post a Comment