Friday, October 31, 2008

Day 39 - Chiang Mai

We arrived in Chiang Mai 5 hours late at 11:30am instead of 7:15am because the train apparently overheated and broke down for 2 hours in the middle of the night. I had the worst sleep ever. I think I slept for about 2 hours in total. The train was really jerky and every time it stopped, I would slide in the bed and smack my head. I killed a bunch of roaches in the last few hours. They are everywhere.

Finally after getting off the train, I figured we'd get a taxi to the Libra Guesthouse. No need. The owner was waiting for the train to arrive and to pick up guests so that worked out quite well. I shared a room with 2 other girls and it cost 400B total for a room with a fan and a hot shower. I booked a 3 day trek for tomorrow for 3000B. Totally worth it. I'm excited.

Arriving in Chiang Mai I realize how I like this place so much better than Bangkok. It's way more relaxed here. People are much friendlier and seem more honest. I could stay here forever.

Lunch consisted of going to a place down the road called the Blue Diamond. The food here was really good. Super fresh and tasty. I had a spicy avocado salad and a pineapple shake. Afterwards we trekked around to see some temples. There are way more temples here than in Bangkok.

After the meeting back at the guesthouse about the 3 day trek, I ended up going to the night bizarre. This place is more expensive than Bangkok when it comes to merchandise. It was kind of disappointing to be honest. It wasn't anything special.
This is when the decision was made to go to a bar.

Ended up at this rooftop bar called THC near the guesthouse. This place was really cool. Super chilled out and the open rooftop. Once you ascend to the rooftop you need to remove your shoes and sit on bamboo mats at small tables. I didn't stay too late as I have the trek early tomorrow morning.

No comments: