Saturday, October 18, 2008

Day 30 - Guangzhou and Kaiping

I slept for maybe 3 hours. Upon check-in I found out that I wouldn't be able to Guangzhou through Hong Kong because I only have a single entry visa for China. So that sucks. I needed to buy a direct ticket to Guangzhou from Shanghai. I wandered around desperately trying to figure out what the hell I was going to do. I found out that China Southern flies to Guangzhou and ended up booking a ticket flying out of Hang Qiao, Shanghai's other 1480Y ($225) and 30 Y to take the bus there. Future note: Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau are considered international destinations and need chinese visas to re-enter China.

China Southern has to be the most ghetto airline I've ever flown in my life. No safety checks in the cabin and the food was absolutely disgusting. I arrived at 2:10pm and called my cousin to pick me up on my Chinese mobile. I have no credit left. I have no idea how this is possible because I just put 20Y on it yesterday and 100Y the day before. I'm now quite confident that someone has pirated my sim card and using the money. Super sketchy. I'll just have to use my Canadian phone number as I know it'll always work. I kinda can't wait to get out of China.

When my plane arrives, I'm met by my cousin, a family friend and another cousin on my mother's side. That was a nice surprise. We drove to Kaiping and I booked into the hotel. Dinner was ridiculous. We met up with about 6 other people and ate like kings. As it was more of a business meeting more than anything else, 3 bottles of Hennessy XO were consumed in 2 hours by 10 people who continued to "Gombai" (bottoms up) all the scotch. I ate goose(tastes like duck with less fat) and armadillo(tastes like bitter chicken) tonight among other things and it was all really good.

I need to rest up for the big day tomorrow. I'll be going back to my father's village to see his Sai Ma and to my mother's village.

No comments: