Monday, January 19, 2009

Day 105 - Journey to Probolinggo to see Mount Bromo

The minibus that came to pick us up was from the 70's and the air conditioning didn't work at all. We were supposed to be on this bus for 8 hours to get to Probolinggo. I was so hot I was dripping sweat in the back of the van and within a matter of minutes my clothes were soaking wet. But I was really happy that the driver was not a nutcase. After about an hour, the driver stopped and picked up what we thought was another passenger. He wasn't. He was another maniac driver and almost left someone behind as they were changing seats.

After about 5 hours they stop the van for rest stop for food and the use of a toilet. They charge foreigners more here for things than locals pay. It's not much but its very obvious. I got charged 3000Rp for a coke when a local was charged 2500Rp. It's time I learn some Bahasa. On the way back to the van, the driver was under it fixing something. The starter broke and the only way to start it now was to have about 4 people push it to get it started.

The original driver drove. Thank god. We were dropped off at the most ghetto bus stop ever. It was basically a shack with electricity. We arrived quite late in Probolinggo at 8 pm and needed to get another ride for an hour to Yochi's Guesthouse. We went up an incredibly windy road that puts the Road to Hana to shame and arrived at 9:50pm, 6 hours lated than anticipated. I sat down had some fried noodles and a beer and then ended up passing out for a few hours until our jeep was to pick us up to take us to the volcano.

No comments: