Saturday, January 10, 2009

Day 81-82 - On the way to Koh Tao - Bus and 3 ferries later...

The day was really quite uneventful. I ended up just walking around to kill time before the bus left for Koh Tao at 6 pm. The bus was to take us to Chumphon where we then took a ferry to Koh Tao. The bus ride was excrucitating. There were 4 people shoved in the back of the bus with 5 seats. The girl in front of me kept reclining her chair into my knees as I couldn't move back since the seats at the back don't really recline and her friend decided to fall asleep with her music on full blast. To make things worse, one of the guys in the back seat decided to take up 2 seats and put his head on one of them to sleep. The problem was, this guys was like 6'3" and doesn't fit in the seats this way and ended up in my friend's lap. In addition to this the 3 guys a few rows in front of us decided to have a chat with the light on around 2 am for a while. I was exhausted when the bus dropped us off.

When I realized where they dropped us off I knew we would be in for a long day, I had no sleep and it was 5 am. We weren't in Chumphon. We were in Suritthani 3 hours south of there. What the hell is going on? Apparently the waves were really bad and there was no access to Koh Tao via Chumphon so we were rerouted through Suritthani to Koh Phangnan. Fair enough.

Ended up waiting until 8 am for a bus that drove us for an hour to the pier to catch the ferry. After arriving I found out that we needed to change ferries not once, but 3 times to get to Koh Tao. From Suritthani to Koh Samui, to Koh Phangnan then to Koh Tao. Each ride taking about 2 hours each. It was when we boarded the last ferry when I realize why we couldn't go directly to Koh Tao. I'm so glad I took antinauseants before I left. The ferry bounced around in the water like a 3 year old was picking it up and dropping it in his bathtub. The waves were higher than I've ever seen before at about 5 meters high and engulfing the boat as they crashed onto it. The ferry was being whipped around like God's plaything. Everyone on the boat ended up getting sick a far as I could see. The waves were crashing into the boat and it felt like it was going to capsize. It was horrendous and lasted for 2 hours.

Finally arrived at Koh Tao at 3pm, 21 hours after the journey began in Bangkok. I checked into a dive place called Buddha View and signed up for an Open Water diving course for tomorrow for 9800B. This will be exciting, especially because I don't like water all too much. Had orientation for 2 hours and I start tomorrow at 9 am.

Met up with some friends and went to dinner at a place called Tukta. They make the best phad thai I've ever had in my entire life for 50B. Next desitnation was Sairee beach for some drinks by Sangthaew. It was ridiculous how expensive it was, 450B for 9 people to go about 3 km. This island is going to be expensive. Sairee is a really much nicer than down by Buddha View, its full of little bungalows by the beach with shops, restaurants and bars all over the place, but I'm glad I'll be diving tomorrow

No comments: