
I arrived into Darwin at 3 am. I was exhausted to pieces. It took quite sometime for everyone to go through customs as Australia is very strict on what is brought into the country because of how delicate the flora and fauna in ecosystem are here. You need to declare everything. I saw a guy get into a lot of trouble when he didn't declare the fact that his shoes were covered in mud. The customs agent took him aside and she started to lecture him about the damage he could be doing and how he could have potentially brought foot and mouth disease into the country. She really made him a new one.
By 4 am I was ready to go. The first thing I did was go into the washroom and was pleasantly surprised by the presence of toilet paper! Yes! The little things!
I ended up checking into a hostel called Melaleuca on Mitchell for $22 a night. It's crazy how much more expensive things are here as compared to Asia. It's actually quite shocking. I ended up falling asleep for quite a few hours.

The highlight of the day was going out and feeding fish. Just off the Esplanade is a place called Aquascene that only opens for 1 1/2 hours during high tide and for $8 you can hand feed wild fish bread. It was really quite cool. The fish start to swim into the feeding area. The water was full of both catfish and milk fish. The smallest catfish was about 1 ft long and the largest milk fish was about 5ft. It was insane. They were everywhere and would swim up to you and take the food right out of your hands. Totally worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment