Next stop was a volcanic crater lake called Lake Barrine and a rainforest walk. The wildlife here is absolutely incredible. There were multiple bearded lizards just hanging out on trees that were about 1-2 feet long.
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Day 120 - Atherton Tablelands
I woke up at 6 am totally hung over. I got picked up for the "On the Wallaby" tour at around 7am. By 9am I had fries for breakfast. It felt so much better. This tour went up to the Atherton Tablelands in a place called Yungaburra.
The first major stop was at the Cathedral fig tree. This thing is absolutely gigantic. Its about 48m tall and around 500 years old. The fig is of the strangling variety so it pretty much engulfs another tree and grows around it and will continue to grow even when the host tree dies inside.
Next stop was a volcanic crater lake called Lake Barrine and a rainforest walk. The wildlife here is absolutely incredible. There were multiple bearded lizards just hanging out on trees that were about 1-2 feet long.
I decided to go canoeing instead of swimming in the waterfalls and ended up canoeing for a good 3 hours to do some wildlife spotting. I missed seeing a tree kangaroo but there were quite a few birds out and around. We ended up in the stream and picking ochre rock of various colours out of the stream and painting each others faces. These were the rocks that the aborigines used to do cave and face paintings. They're just highly pigmented rocks with different concentrations of various minerals in them that make up the colours. Good times!
Next stop was a volcanic crater lake called Lake Barrine and a rainforest walk. The wildlife here is absolutely incredible. There were multiple bearded lizards just hanging out on trees that were about 1-2 feet long.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment